April 18, 2013

Everybody Looks Nice In Pink!

Hello all! Today I'll be discussing... more clothing!

So on the weekend I was just casually strolling down King Street. Like I always do. I need a new walking route, I know. Anyway, while I was walking, I came across an interesting sight. I saw a little boy, about 5 or 6, dressed from head to toe in pink. He was wearing a pink coat, pink pants, and pink rubber boots with white hearts on them.

I was surprised at first, to be honest. It's not exactly an everyday sight. But you know what? That kid was adorable. I'm actually amazed that his mom let him dress that way. Not because I think it's bad, but because most parents wouldn't approve of their kid not wearing something that belongs to their gender (whatever that means).

I'm sure you've read one or two stories about boys dressing in "girl clothes" and girls dressing in "boy clothes". Their own parents don't care, but it still causes an uproar, more so with boys wearing feminine clothing. We've all seen this. We've all seen guys getting bullied for wearing pink or pastel "girly" clothes. It's sad, but it happens, silly as it is.

If anyone's having trouble reading this, let me know!
Why do we assign gender to clothing? And how come girls can wear guy clothes, but it can't be the other way around? Why is it more acceptable for women to dress like men than it is for men to dress like women? What's going on here?

My theory is that feminine clothing is seen as feminine, and femininity is generally seen as a weakness. If you dress "like a woman", you must have the qualities of a woman, which is a really bad thing to be in this misogynistic society. I think we're also all familiar with the stereotypical "butch" type feminist that condemns anything feminine, which is actually kind of super bad because it's severely detrimental to the feminist movement because goes against what feminism is actually about (and makes the rest of us look bad).

Tell em

This theory makes the most sense to me. It would also explain why feminine clothing tends to be more impractical. I love dresses, but most of them are too delicate to handle my regular daily life, so they're saved for special occasions. And what the hell are "jeggings"? And why are women's t-shirts always so slim and uncomfortable and impossible for the average person to squeeze into?

Women aren't "meant" to do anything but sit there and look nice, which explains high heels. At least feminine women have this problem. So you understand now why boys wearing pink is a big deal to some people. What other people wear is a big priority in people's lives, I find.

This can also be an issue with some parents. In fact, more parents seem to care about children's attire than the kids themselves do! Since femininity is seen as weak and shameful, they project their beliefs onto their children whether their children like it or not. If a boy wants to wear pink zebra striped flats, more often than not, he won't be allowed to. It doesn't help that we also call guys who wear "girl" clothes horrible names. Do I really have to list any of them?

I freakin love the Batman one okay

Girl clothes are awesome. A common mistake among feminists is dismissing femininity as weak. It's ironic because the whole "femininity = women = weak" is a patriarchal idea, which only gets reinforced when feminists look down upon women who like to dress in feminine clothes. Feminine does not mean weak, by any means at all, and it's a silly assumption to make.

So... yeah! Everybody looks nice in pink! Boys, girls, people who don't fit into the gender binary! Why is pink even a "girl colour" anyway? It's a colour...? Whatever! Like I keep saying, clothes aren't offensive, it's the ideas we have around them that are. Clothes are as offensive as we choose to make them.

- Carli_V

2 comments:

  1. I remember this adorable little boy that was in a kindergarten class I used to help out with and he used to colour everything pink and his friends used to say that it was a girl colour. He'd just say to them that it couldn't just be a girl colour if a boy used it. That made a lot of sense to me. The colour doesn't belong to a certain gender so it doesn't matter who uses it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It terrible that we see anything as being, this is "girls" and this is "boys". The worst part is that we have made it into something bigger. Now its, thats a girls job and thats a boy desison. We make these gender roles and get angrey if the opposite gender fulfills it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.