This post won't just be about the demonizing of women who wear makeup. This includes boob jobs, wearing certain clothes, colouring your hair etc. So basically, everything we girls do to make ourselves presentable. The word "presentable" means different things to different people, but, naturally, lots of people still think their personal definition is the only "right" one.
![]() |
| Snooki lady don't give a shit |
I used to be in the same boat. Notice how I used to do a lot of the things I'm now totally against. That's some great character development there. Now I realize that other people making themselves look a certain way isn't bad or wrong. It's all up to them and whatever makes them feel comfortable.
Yet we still assume that the only reason a girl would wear makeup is either due to insecurity or because she's trying to impress someone. I know that plenty of girls do this, and it's not really a bad thing. I'd probably do the same thing. The only reason I don't wear makeup is because it's expensive and I don't have the motivation or time. But do you see me judging other people for wearing it?
If someone wants to take the time, effort, and money to make themselves look a certain way, I say let them. It has no effect on my life whatsoever, so I won't get my panties all up in a bunch. That's just dumb. I'm pretty sure most women put effort into their makeup because they feel like it or really want to. Besides, nobody wants to have their breakouts and baggy eyes hanging out for all the world to see.
It's the same principle for every other alteration women make to their bodies. If they want to shave, let them. If not, cool. If they want to get implants, sure, go ahead. If not, still cool. Spray tan? Well, why not! See, it may not be "real", but that's the version of themselves that they want to present. If that's what it takes to make them feel comfortable and confident, great for them.
Notice how you never hear these people complaining about it. They don't complain about doing their hair and makeup for an hour. I actually love doing my hair and makeup. It's like drawing a picture or painting. It's creating a style for yourself that you like. It's making an image of yourself that's aesthetically pleasing and also a form of expression.
So if these women (or men) are happy doing what they're doing, why act like a miserable dick? Also, if they're as insecure as we tend to think they are, won't shaming them just make them feel worse? Do people really not see how shaming anyone for doing harmless things is insanely counter-productive (and just silly)?
These are the thoughts that keep me awake at night. And also wondering what happened to those fish from Finding Nemo. Yeah. I have to go for a walk now. Bye.
- Carli_V



It takes so much skill to put makeup on! I really think your body is a good way to express yourself.
ReplyDeleteSome people have issues with accepting the way other people run their lives. And those people freak me out. The amount of makeup someone wears, and what colour they dye their hair has absolutely no impact on the way you live your life. So why does it matter at all? If they feel great about themselves with a little extra makeup on then that's fantastic for them. Great post!
ReplyDeleteWow you have totally enlightened me. Your points are very truthfully and obvious yet so many people miss them every day. We forget that everyone can do whatever they like no matter what we think about it. We're always so quick to label that we forget that our little comment isn't to help guide them to a more beautiful life, but to satisfy our self. Like Michelle says, "Great post!"!!
ReplyDelete